Peer Tutor Job Description
Peer Tutors are motivated undergraduate students who are eager to assist their fellow students with learning the content of College of Information Sciences and Technology courses. Peer tutors provide one-on-one coaching to help students practice and reinforce concepts in the IST curriculum. Subject-specific tutors who help staff our sessions maintain partnerships with members of the IST faculty so that we are aware of what instructors are teaching and assigning each week. The tutors’ job is NOT to re-teach course material. Rather, peer tutors will aid students in their learning by helping to clarify unclear concepts and by supporting students as they practice skills and apply new understandings.
If you have questions about becoming a tutor, please contact our Tutoring Co-Coordinators, Andrew Maier (UP tutoring) or Hardik Jain (World Campus tutoring), using one of the following links:
To be hired as a Peer Tutor:
- Be familiar with and have received an A or A- the entrance-to-major courses in your discipline
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Have availability in your schedule during residential tutoring hours
Mandatory responsibilities for all Peer Tutors include:
- Serve residential students during 6 drop-in hours each week in entrance to major courses for the 6 IST majors: CYBER, DS, ETI, HCDD, IST, SRA
- Coordinate your schedule with the other tutors in order to ensure that we maintain coverage for all majors at both drop-in sessions each week
- Serve as a WC peer tutor 4 hours per week. This includes providing scheduled, virtual peer tutoring services
- Attend meetings three times per semester with tutoring staff (for program review and professional development)
- Work closely with LA coordinators to maintain a connection with the Learning Assistant Program
Additional responsibilities could include:
- Work closely with individual faculty members if requested
- Workshop creation and facilitation
- Creating short programming refresher videos
Attend two 3-hour drop-in tutoring sessions each week on the following days and times:
- Wednesdays from 7:00 – 10:00 p.m.
- Thursdays from 7:00 – 10:00 p.m.
Four hours per week of virtual Peer Tutoring for World Campus students. Hours will be determined by your schedule and student need.
- Start date is the second week of each semester (fall and spring; no tutoring in the summer)
- End date is the last day of classes before finals
Peer Tutor positions are paid by the College of IST. The rate of compensation is $13/hr for first-semester tutors and $14/hr for each semester after the first.
Many of our Peer Tutors have been Learning Assistants in the past. Former or current LAs who have taken IST 389 do not need to do any additional training to become a tutor. Peer Tutors who have not been LAs will be asked to do 2-3 hours of professional development when they begin their positions.